Thousands of Oracle technologists have participated in the PL/SQL Challenge. Here is some of the feedback we have gotten about the impact this website has had on their work with the PL/SQL language.
- "The PL/SQL Challenge is a place to learn things I otherwise might never know. The documentation (while generally fairly good) doesn't always touch on the "tricky" points - and the tricky points are just the ones we learn a lot from as programmers.
" - From K.H.
- "Thank you very much for creating such an easy way of upgrading Oracle skills.
I have been working in Oracle since 7.x but never kept upto date with all the latest releases,
now am addicted to PL/SQL challenge and love spending 15 mins everyday. I look forward to the
questions every morning! Thanks for such a wonderful effort!
" - From Geetha
- "Really enjoying the quiz now I've "gotten into" the habit of doing it. It's really igniting my interest in learning new things about Oracle again.
Thanks, as always, for promoting the PL/SQL language and providing so many learning resources." - From NickL (28572)
- "I am new to the pl/sql challenge but I love it and have shared it with all the other sql wizards and witches around here." - From Laura
- "I frequently check out your great PLSQLchallenge.com. I think it's cool and your site gives me an opportunity to learn more by practical examples. " - From Harold C.
- "Thank you for creating the PL/SQL Challenge website, I feel like I learn something every day. I usually take the time to build the tables, procedures, etc., and execute the code so that I can see the errors – or the successes – and try to understand what is going on. I’m planning to take every quiz this year." - From Richard B.
- "I think the PL/SQL Challenge is the coolest thing ever. It is fun and it makes you
think again about little things that you may have taken for granted,
just thought you knew everything about (or not). Thank you very much for creating the PL/SQL Challenge.
" - From Michael B.
- "Simply great!" - From Karl
- "Thanks for building the website and thanks to all those that helped you. Being a programmer/analyst in Oracle solutions I find this new site a great way to keep my skills up and challenge myself on questions that I may not know. I especially like questions that I don't have answers to right away because then off I go to check my book marks and read a little more about pl/sql and how things work and behave. thanks again and appreciate the efforts you and your team put into the website." - From Fletch
- "I really enjoy coming each day at work and while having my morning coffee to take the quiz. so good work :) " - From Radian
- "I think the PL/SQL Challenge is excellent.
It is a good, fun way of keeping your skills honed without a huge investment of time.
I am now learning C# and just wish there was a Feuerstein equivalent for C#.
Do you happen to know of any free quiz type resources for C# programmers, or
gurus who boost your knowlege of the language in the way Steven does for PL/SQL?" - From A.T.
- "The quizzes are making me think about syntax again, since coding a lot of the
time is copying and pasting. Learning and re-learning a lot! Love it!" - From Johnny O
- "Thanks for useful and amazing project." - From Zeynal Zeynalov (2054)
- "I have a lot of programming experience, but
not too much PL/SQL experience, so the PL/SQL Challenge has been very valuable to me
in learning more about PL/SQL and how I can apply it at work. Many,
many thanks for starting the Challenge and keeping it going. " - From C.N.
- "Thanks for providing the PL/SQL Challenge. It’s a good educational tool + some healthy competition for my work colleagues and I.
" - From Dan R.
- "I love the PL/SQL Challenge! Mondays are not so boring anymore. ;)" - From A.R.
- "I'm enjoying these daily exercises. I thought that I knew PL/SQL pretty well,
but I'm finding that I don't! " - From M.S.
- "I took an extra moment today to look as the updated assumptions on the PL/SQL Quiz and found the DBMS_SESSION notes really useful to resolve a curious problem we’ve been having.
" - From Tim
- "Loving the PL/SQL Challenge. I wish they did this for other languages!" - From D.D.
- "I have been having fun taking the pl/sql challenge whenever I can...I'm sure it'll be a can't-do-without part of my routine pretty soon :)" - From Viji
- "I am using this site to improve my PL/SQL skills, because I work with many programming languages. This site is a good way to to keep me up to speed on PL/SQL." - From Eli L.
- "Thank you for the work you put into the PL/SQL challenge. I really enjoy it and am learning quite a bit through it.
I’m seeing a lot of topics that I didn't know about until they show up there and have already used some in my work.
" - From Thomas M.
- "I am very much enjoying the quiz and learning about nuances of which I had been unaware." - From Anita
- "Thank you very much for your great idea and all the quizzes you have created during these years. Personally I have learned so much on this site and I am glad to be part of this group." - From P.B.
- "Wow...you even win a prize for finding a bug. You guys never cease to amaze!
Thanks for doing the daily quiz - it inspires me to do more with PL/SQL." - From Tony V.
- "The quiz is fantastic – great learning opportunity – and now you can see past quizzes and their results even better. well done." - From Andra
- "Really enjoying the quiz now that I've "gotten into" the habit of doing it.
It's really igniting my interest in learning new things about Oracle again.
Thanks, as always, for promoting the PL/SQL language and providing so many learning resources." - From NickL (28572)
- "My colleagues and I have enjoyed the PL/SQL Challenge so far. Thanks for creating it!" - From John H
- "Thanks for putting the time and resources into the PL/SQL Challenge, it’s as great learning tool.
I’m not sure what’s the bigger motivator for the users, the prizes or the ranking system (IT folks can be a competitive bunch)." - From Scott Deas (1930)
- "Thank you very much for all the time and effort you and your associates put
nto setting up this quiz. I am only a new starter but I am enjoying it
immensely so far and it is proving to be a trigger to research and skill-building." - From John
- "Thanks for this wonderful site. it has become a nice evening routine to answer the question and sharpen my skills." - From Rob
- "Thanks for the PL/SQL Challenge site. I truly enjoy answering the quizzes and it really has enriched my knowledge of PL/SQL." - From J.S.
- "I like quizzes testing syntax/semantics, especially for those perhaps not so oft used features. it's fairly black & white, limited opportunity for debate." - From Scott W.
- "The PL/SQL Challenge helps us to assess ourselves and refresh our knowledge on daily basis. PL/SQL Challenge - you rock!
" - From A.B.
- "Hat's off for doing this. Good idea and lots of fun." - From Peter
- "First by seeing 11g + Advanced 50% of the hopes were gone (as I work in 10g).
Second by seeing "RESULT_CACHE" 100% hopes were gone (It seemed like an alien for me).
I gave a try (guess) and it worked. After submitting the quiz, I spent about 2hrs to explore
about the usage, conditions and all for this feature. [Satisfaction that comes with exploring
is incredible.I should thank Steven fir this kind of questions]. The even more happiest thing
is sharing the same across my team, which made 1-2 mnths experienced ppl in my team know about
"RESULT_CACHE" usage. WOW I am really happy about that." - From Jay
- "Thank you for such a great place to learn PL/SQL." - From K.U.
- "I love the challenge and try to do it every day. I would recommend it to anyone who uses PL/SQL." - From Tony S
- "Thanks a lot for the passion to organize such nice and interesting challenges everyday. I can see I have improved a lot. Without your creative and testing puzzles this wouldn't have been possible. Keep rocking! " - From R.T.
- "Today (13 June 2011) I have exactly one year of playing the PL/SQL Challenge :) :) :). It is now one of my best friends, which has completely changed my life ! I'd like to take this opportunity to thank first of all to Steven and his team, who afforded us this wonderful experience, and then to all the players and quiz reviewers who are my fellows in this daily exciting challenge !" - From mentzel.iudith (62887)
- "I have been playing since October 2010 and I have learned a lot of stuff from the PL/SQL Challenge. Thanks for creating such a great and powerful learning platform for developers like me.
" - From R.S.
- "Your website is fantastic, and very well managed! Hope your wife, children and grandchildren can understand the importance of your contribution to "society's greater good". " - From V.M.
- "I really loved today's question which implements string sorting
(as we often see such type of code and logic). It's not that tough to figure out for those are aware of
using string as index but this question is definitely one of the best as it teaches Oracle as
well as logical thinking. Thanks to Oracle Collections and String Indexing to make life easier!" - From JD
- "Superb question, I thought I did well by choosing 'the' three correct answers, until I checked the
delete (n,m) answers...I never knew you could delete a range. I never needed it, but did not know either. Great there is still so much to learn!
That is what makes the PL/SQL Challenge most valuable. " - From T.V.B.
- "Great job on the PL/SQL Challenge, it's pretty helpful for learning previously unknown features. I'm mainly an APEX Developer so I'm really looking forward to the APEX quizzes! " - From J.V.
- "The daily PL/SQL quiz has helped me to improve my skills and do a better job at work. I have encouraged others here to take the quiz, it is their loss if they choose not to.
" - From Brian L.
- "I really enjoy with the quiz; I now start my day with pl/sql challenge. thank you very much for the quiz." - From Sailaja
- "Love the quiz, already learned some new things. Great work!" - From Jan L
- "Great quiz today. I got it wrong, but I learned something new.
" - From Riccardo
- "This is such a good website, I have become addicted to it. Couldn't we have quizzes on the weekend, too? I simply love it.
" - From Amit
- "Thank you for your response and thanks for the "challenge." i'm a team LEAD rather than much of a programmer these days, so the questions are a challenge, but it's fun, interesting, and helpful." - From Cathy W
- "I wasn't able to play the quiz for the past few months, due to work commitments. I logged onto the site today and feel that the new look and feel of the site (version 2) is awesome. It convinced me to take the quiz as the first task when my day starts. Thanks for this wonderful site. " - From S. S.
- "I like the PL/SQL Challenge very much to get some hints about "new" features, which means something I did not know before.
And the answers are sometimes a surprise because i would not test all of the options given using SQL or PL/SQL, such as the TRANSLATE function.
It is also a good hint not to trust the result of what you think but deeply test it." - From Christian Wenzel (3579)
- "I try every morning to answer the quiz before I start opening my work emails. It actually jump starts my brain in the morning!" - From Henry Cortez Wu (4682)
- "Cool quiz to tickle the brain!" - From A.M.
- "Thanks for providing a great resource with the PL/SQL Challenge.
I imagine it takes a fair amount of time to come up with different questions each day - it is a greatly appreciated effort." - From Marc Thompson (15579)
- "I like the PL/SQL Challenge very much. Keep up the good work!
" - From Alex
- "The PL/SQL Challenge has been great for me. I am starting my day with it. Hats off to Steven for helping others, and for being so down to earth!
" - From Ramesh T.
- "Thank you for running PLSQL Challenge. It makes a huge difference in our day to day routine. We have 6 people playing in the company, always discuss the quiz after we finish it, and try to be at the top. " - From Anne O.
- "I have learned all kinds of nuggets since I started playing the PL/SQL Challenge. Even though
I knew what ** was, I discovered from your link to delimiters in the oracle doc that ~= and ^= are the same as <> and !=. Thanks a million Steven. " - From PF
- "I am grateful for the time and effort you put into assembling these quizzes. The PL/SQL Challenge encourages me to expand my horizons and think beyond the typical everyday challenges. " - From Gerry C.
- "Thanks very much for another quarter of very enjoyable quizzes. I’m constantly amazed at all the little tidbits I’m learning." - From Justin
- "Kudos for expanding my knowledge of those strange edge cases of the PLSQL language! I work in a shop where the standards are very tight - except for the quiz I might never encounter most of these scenarios!" - From Munnin
- "The PL/SQL Challenge is a very good way to learn new concepts and at the same time help me in my current job.
" - From BVVS
- "It is a lot of fun so far and I did not really expect to look forward so much to the results every morning and the kind of excitement you feel when you click the "Take the Quiz" button, all focused to be able to answer as good as possible and as fast as possible. And above all: it triggers me to dive into PL/SQL again and study it more closely. I have been lucky with a couple of questions also, but most of it...experience still seems to count for something." - From Toine
- "I loved today's question, I was not aware of the q quoting character...and I could immediately use it today, so another victory for the Challenge! " - From TVB
- "Thanks for taking the time to construct this fabulous website." - From Katy J.
- "Just taking the quiz everyday and keeping my brain cells excited and learning in the process in itself is a reward, but I am also very pleased to win an award. It's like having a cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. Thanks, PL/SQL Challenge!" - From S.B.
- "First of all, thanks for the PL/SQL Challenge. I have no words to express my gratitude to you nor to say how happy I am for my accomplishment which has granted me much more than a prize: pride.
" - From J.B.
- "Thank you very very much for PL/SQL Challenge
( although I haven't won anything yet :-) ). It's a great competition and I've learnt many things from your quizes.
You're doing really a great job and I hope you will keep doing it for a very long time." - From R.G.
- "Thanks a lot for providing us with such a great opportunity to brush up our skills and stay in touch with the technology. " - From SN
- "I like your quiz a lot. Thanks for it." - From Paul K
- "Congratulations for this amazing opportunity to test our knowledge! I'm not one of the top players, but I'm always honest with myself and try to answer based only on my knowledge and reading documentation. I never test or execute the quiz code before :-) " - From Tim
- "Thank you so much for your wonderful site. I have really improved as a PL/SQL programmer because of it. " - From Paul K.
- "Congratulations on the pl/sql challenge, it’s a great way of testing/challenging one’s knowledge and more importantly learning regularly by looking UP topics on the day and the explanations the NEXT day. and I must admit there is a good LEVEL of excitement when the result email arrives." - From Phillipe T
- "I like the new forms of questions. Feels less like a "trivia contest",
and makes me think about the code. I do enjoy the quiz, as it keeps PL/SQL fresh in my mind.
Plus it brings out a bit of friendly competitiveness between co-workers!!!" - From Pete Dinin (4938)
- "The PL/SQL Challenge has "challenged" me to do some research in the morning to answer some of the questions. Great idea!" - From TGA (2052)
- "I think the quizzes for this playoff were very good (though I guess as a winner I would say that!). I enjoy playing the daily quizzes too which have helped me learn and re-enforce my PL/SQL knowledge; I'm glad you've set this up and done a good job of running it.
" - From C.S.
- "I love the pl/sql challenge. it is getting our team talking about pl/sql on a daily basis. some of the pl/sql questions are more about paying attention to detail than pl/sql knowledge. I like to call it the "PL/SQL pay attention to detail Challenge"!" - From Tom
- "This is really an interesting initiative and it carries even more value as it comes from a PL/SQL expert like Steven Feuerstein." - From Mani
- "I love the PL/SQL Challenge. It's one of the first things of my daily to-do list, right after getting a cup of coffee." - From Silvio
- "Thanks so much for this challenging daily adventure from which we learn a lot and which makes our professional lives more beautiful and exciting!
" - From I.M.
- "I really like the quiz from a learning perspective - shows how much I don't know and therefore introduces new ideas. Keep up the good work!" - From Dawn
- "I want to brush up my pl/sql skills and came across your website. it is a cool site and a great way to stay abreast of pl/sql by taking quizzes." - From Andreas
- "I'm encouraging students at the university who have an interest in PL/SQL to begin competing for educational purposes.
I don't think I could have passed the OCP PL/SQL exam without this competition helping me learn. :)" - From Richard M.
- "Being in a bit of a "bubble" where I'm the only PL/SQL bod in my office,
the PL/SQL Challenge has made me appreciate what features others are using and how much, and I've realised how much I don't know,
andd don't use much and should use more (e.g. collections, records and objects). I've also realised how many PL/SQL programmers are out there. Actually I'd have thought more than about 1,000 people around the world would be doing this quiz: I expected more like 20,000. " - From Keith H.
- "I really enjoy the PL/SQL Challenge. As a junior software engineer confronted with PL/SQL a year ago for the first time, I have learned a lot about this language by taking the daily quiz!" - From Jan-Willem
- "I have to say that the PL/SQL Challenge is really enjoyable. It is a great way of challenging my knowledge and learning new stuff on a daily basis." - From Dennis Klemme (10505)
- "The PL/SQL Challenge has quickly become my caffeine companion in the mornings to help get the grey matter moving and the synapses firing. Even if I don't feel very intelligent after seeing some of the correct answers..." - From Matt G
- "I'm loving the PL/SQL Challenge because: (1) The questions require fast-thinking; You have to understand how PL/SQL works on many levels to answer the problems correctly. (2) It provides great feedback that helps me learn from my mistakes; and helps with my PL/SQL exam training. (3) It's fun, challenging, and even a surprise since you don't know what to expect when you click "Take the Quiz" (4) Adding it to my morning coffee routine really gets my day going, and makes me look forward to the results in the evening. " - From Richard M.
- "Thanks a lot for the passion to organize such nice and interesting challenges everyday. I can see that I have improved a lot since starting taking the quizzes. Without your creative puzzles, this wouldn't have been possible. Keep rocking! " - From Ramesh
- "I just want to thank you for this great project, it keeps PL/SQL entertaining and interesting for me, which is great since I'm sometimes working on not so interesting or boring or messy projects.
" - From R.G.
- "I am relatively new to PL/SQL. This is a great venue for learning, and it's fun." - From M M
- "Let me take the time to thank you for your daily quiz. I can only begin to fathom how much work this is. Although I am trying to participate as often as I can I sometimes just find the time to randomly pick solutions (with little luck). However – and that is the good thing for me – I try to read the solutions once in a while and try to figure out why my answers were wrong and hope to remember the things I read.
So again thank you very much for this site.
" - From Andreas
- "Everytime I play a quiz, I learn something new. Thanks you very much for such a helpful game. " - From I.D.
- "Thanks for all you do for us with the PL/SQL cChallenge – not least of which is putting up with sometimes rude, inconsiderate, ungrateful, argumentative, etc. users." - From T.W.
- "Thank you for all you do to support our careers and interests - it is a great help." - From Mike K.
- "I find the PL/SQL Challenge really helpful and exciting. I have encouraged my colleagues to play." - From Mukesh
- "the PL/SQL quiz is one of the highlights of my workday.
Thank you for creating a professional culture for us PL/SQL developers!" - From Lauren S.
- "Even if a quiz, or just a single choice, has little practical
value, it all helps to increase the "situational awareness".
Newbies may be baffled by some of the things going on here, but I am willing
to bet that every single seasoned PL/SQL dude on this planet (who plays) is
appreciating the PL/SQL Challenge more than you can possibly imagine. I
would like to count myself as one of the seasoned guys and when I score less
than 100%, it definitely hurts my ego. But ignoring the bad days and the
fact that I usually take the quizzes on near-empty batteries at 11PM+, I am
learning and I believe the other 99.9% of players do too. You know better
than anyone else the kind of attention the Challenge gets and that is something to
be extremely proud of." - From Michael B.
- "Thank you for continuing to provide this invaluable service to the PL/SQL community. " - From W. F.
- "I am the best of the world in the advanced category -Whooee!!! I really like the competition element in there!" - From Patrick
- "Thank you very much for the wonderful training I get through this website!" - From V. K.
- "This website is very useful for people who want to polish their SQL and PL/SQL skills. I am referring my friends to the site so they can benefit, too. " - From A.R.
- "Thank you very much for putting the PL/SQL Challenge together.
I have found it to be quite helpful in keeping me and my PL/SQL skills up-to-date. On a day-to-day basis, I
don't usually have a need for using cutting-edge PL/SQL concepts.
But the Challenge gives me an easy way to keep me thinking about those concepts, so that
they're fresh in my mind for when they could come in handy." - From Jen C.
- "I have learned a HUGE amount from the PL/SQL Challenge, much of it about features I didn’t even know existed. " - From Brian L.
- "You have done an awesome job with this challenge – and with your whole approach to raising the
bar on expertise of PL/SQL. Unlike many in this field who often work as consultants,
I have been programming for the same company for more than 10 years. There are, of course, pros and cons to
that longevity of assignment – but, one of the biggest hurdles is keeping the job fresh. The
insights you share about the world of PL/SQL help to keep the spark ignited – and improves the quality of the work day." - From Patti S.
- "These quizzes are helping me to discover exactly what I do not know regarding PL/SQL, which is always the hardest part about learning a new technology." - From Jeremiah E.
- "As a mid skill level PL/SQL developer, I really appreciate your providing this quiz.
I have been using it to improve my PL/SQL skills, and to learn about features I have not taken advantage of to-date.
It is sad that your are expending so much effort to stop cheaters, perhaps the best answer is to have less valuable prizes
and make it more of a 'pride' thing." - From Nope
- "I love the PL/SQL Challenge! It helps keep me on top of my game and makes sure that I keep learning new things. " - From Danny G
- "My team mate and I encouraged a lot of colleagues to take part in the quiz.
We also shared the video links to Stevens tutorials. Now we see a lot of our colleagues not
only taking part in the quiz, but discussing the merits of the answers the next day. Thank you for this wonderful vitamin pill!" - From Sanal Krishnan (1183)
- "I very much appreciate the PL/SQL challenge quiz, and I can't imagine the amount of work that must to into it. I learn something on almost every quiz, and have been able to put much of that into the work I do every day. I've recommended it to several other developers here at our company, and I hope they get as much out of it as I have. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all that I have learned from you and for your work with PL/SQL.
" - From John G.
- "One of the things I love best about the PL/SQL Challenge is ferreting
out what I know from what I assumed from what I didn't know before. I started playing in July and have already learned so
much that my code now looks very different from code I wrote this spring. And cleaning up old scripts with
newly-learned features feels like spring cleaning. Way cool!" - From M.
- "In addition to my primary tasks in my company, I'm responsible for specialists training, so this site is helping me a lot to learn about the features of Oracle products I was not aware of before. Thank you very much for the great job you're doing." - From R. O.
- "I am glad you have added the ability to play for educational value only.
Sometimes, I’ll start a quiz during a slow period at work – and then get a user question that I
need to act on immediately. So, I cannot always stay with the quiz. Also, I do not have access to Oracle 10.2.
I work on 9i – and I can’t really test new functions. I can read about the new functions, however – and that sparks my interest.
But I hate feeling bad when the score reflects these limitations. I’m much happier not being competetive – and just exploring for the sake of learning new things." - From Patricia
- "Thanks for your work in keeping this site going. I use it as a learning tool… and have learned many useful things that really impress my co-workers. Alas, I am the only person here who writes PL/SQL, so the others have not been interested in utilizing the PL/SQL Challenge." - From Brian L.
- "I wait eagerly every morning for the NEXT question. it's become a part of my warm-UP ritual at work, in addition to making tea." - From MP
- "Your PL/SQL Challenge site is awesome. I'm really impressed by the number of different quizzes you offer and I will recommend the site to my friends.
" - From W.S.
- "Thanks for a fantastic initiative. My colleagues and I discuss the questions and answers nearly daily and we learn a lot !!!" - From Johannes
- "Thanks for creating such a wonderful site. I thought I knew a lot about PL/SQL before I started playing. Now I know more. " - From R.G.
- "I have no feedback except one: "I love it! Gimme more!"" - From Wakula